When performing the plank, you should:
- Keep your core muscles engaged to maintain a stable frame. Draw in your belly button and squeeze your glutes.
- Breathe normally, this is an endurance exercise so you will need the oxygen.
- Keep your elbows under your shoulders and your toes pointed on the ground.
- Avoid letting your hips sag to low to the ground or raise to high above your back.
- Stop if you are feeling sharp pains anywhere.
Bonus Tip: Try doing this challenge with a friend. The time will go by faster if you have someone to talk to and keep you motivated.
Remember to never exercise through pain but it is normal to feel muscle fatigue or mild discomfort. It is also normal to feel general muscle soreness over the next couple days if you are trying a new exercise. This is called delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMS. See How do I know if I’m overdoing it with my rehab exercises? for more information.
For therapeutic purposes, it is best to meet with a Physiotherapist first to help establish a tailored exercise plan that is right for you.
Please share with someone you would like to challenge over the next 21 days!
Comment below once you’ve completed the challenge.
You may also like: